mission statement

Robin Panza panzar at CLPGH.ORG
Thu May 2 11:55:44 CDT 1996

>Is a mission statement for a scientific collection really necessary?

There is at least one useful attribute of a well-constructed mission statment
(and I *don't* call "to promote excellence in education" a well-constructed
mission statment).  Natural history museums get a lot of "junk from the attic"
style donations.  If the offer if from a wealthy benefactor (or potential
benefactor), it can be awkward to refuse, but a waste of precious resources to
accept.  One graceful way out is to be able to say that the object in question
doesn't fit with our mission, but thank you for your kind offer.

Robin Panza                     panzar at clp2.clpgh.org
Section of Birds
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
4400 Forbes Ave.