Mission statements

Mary Barkworth stipoid at CC.USU.EDU
Thu May 2 11:33:40 CDT 1996

Ever since the Intermountain Herbarium started receiving funding from the
Utah Agricultural Experiment Station, it has had to file an annual report on
its activities.  The first part of the report is always a re-statement of
the herbarium's goals (i.e., its mission statement) and the activities
reported are related to these goals.

I found the past reports very helpful when I first came to Utah State
Univeristy, to the point that I had a bound copy of earlier reports prepared
for the herbarium library.  The goals have not changed significantly over
the years, though there have been changes in emphasis and changes in the
manner in which we seek to meet them.

The reports are filed - with the Director of the Experiment Station, after
being signed by the Department Head and Dean.  I have heard curators rejoice
in the fact that they do not have to write an annual report, but I strongly
recommend doing so.  It is a time to brag about what has been accomplished
(and learn how to glide over those things that have not been accomplished),
and an opportunity to tell one's local administrators that the herbarium
exists, is needed, and is used (and if the last two are not true, the
collection is in trouble). And, I admit, it does make me think back on what
we are doing, why we are doing it, and whether there might be some way in
which we could do it better.

So, although the phrase "Mission Statement" churns my stomach, goals and
annual reports get my vote as being "good things" for collections.

Mary Barkworth