"rider boards"

Karla M Gengler kgengler at MAGNUS.ACS.OHIO-STATE.EDU
Thu May 16 14:13:03 CDT 1996

I thought the idea about "rider boards" for field work was a good one,
considering how difficult it is to get money to do science these days,
particularly field work at remote sites.  I was wondering, however, about
permits.  I am working on a Peruvian group and have gone through the process
of getting a permit to collect there.  The permit does state that I may remove
from the country only those taxa listed on the permit.  I'm sure this isn't an
uncommon feature of permits of foreign countries.  Are there any ways to get
around this problem so that we can collect for colleagues back home?  How do we
convince government officials we aren't agents for pharmaceutical firms?  Isn't
there a provision in US customs now about returning biological material to the
country of origen when it isn't accompanied by a permit?

Karla Gengler
Ohio State University