Cataloging photographic slides

Una Smith una at DOLIOLUM.BIOLOGY.YALE.EDU
Wed May 29 14:03:00 CDT 1996

slides, Jacques Rifkind <Muisca at aol.com> wrote:

>(I am doing this as a for profit venture. If anybody has a problem with
>per-request advertising (as opposed to general spamming), I would remind
>them that the Internet was designed to  facilitate communication between
>politicians striving to perfect weapons of mass destruction and their
>academic and industrial whores. In other words; please spare any
>sanctimonious flames about the "degradation" of the net by commercial
>activity--they will fall on deaf ears.)

Yuck.

Mary et al.,

There are several Usenet newsgroups where professional photographers
(and photo stock dealers) hang out, where you can get expert advice:
rec.photo.misc, rec.photo.digital, and rec.photo.moderated are probably
your best bets.  Or, if you want to get lots of mail from vendors etc.,
post a solicitation in rec.photo.marketplace.

When I posted a similar query myself to the original rec.photo newsgroup
a few years ago (before its first split), the many replies I got could
be summarized as follows:  for the high quality of information I needed
to record, I should either buy a professional photo stock management
package (costing thousands of dollars), or adapt any standard database
package and "roll my own" data structures.  I have chosen to roll my own.

I am also very interested in the natural history data model projects now
developing on the Internet, which are very relevant to this topic.  See
the following URLs:

        http://ucjeps.herb.berkeley.edu/smasch/index.html
        http://www.ucmp.Berkeley.Edu/museum/datamodel/datamodel.html

(I'd be interested to know of any other projects like these!  Thanks.)

Hope this helps,

        Una Smith