labels, which paper?

Steve Halford halford at SFU.CA
Thu May 2 18:06:06 CDT 1996

Byron-Weston Resistall (R) is the paper of record for wet collections.  I
believe University Products and SPNHC have induced the manufacturer to
re-open the resistall plant,  so resistall is again available in limited
quantities and weights  Call University Products (1-800-762-1165) for an
update.

Laser printer inks are *supposed* to be okay,  but the technology hasn't
been around long enough to be sure.  I prefer printing labels on plain
paper and photocopying them onto archival grade stock.  (Some workers
have advocated using impact printers with cloth ribbons -- the ribbon is
cleared of its commercial ink in an alcohol bath, then re-impregnated
with Higgin's Eternal (R),  the *ink* of record for wet collections.)

hope this helps

Steve (halford at sfu.ca) Museum Technician
Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, B.C., Canada