"rider boards"

James Lyons-Weiler weiler at ERS.UNR.EDU
Thu May 16 11:56:24 CDT 1996

On Thu, 16 May 1996, Karla M Gengler wrote:

> I thought the idea about "rider boards" for field work was a good one,
> considering how difficult it is to get money to do science these days,
> particularly field work at remote sites.  I was wondering, however, about
> permits.  I am working on a Peruvian group and have gone through the process
> of getting a permit to collect there.  The permit does state that I may remove
> from the country only those taxa listed on the permit.  I'm sure this isn't an
> uncommon feature of permits of foreign countries.  Are there any ways to get
> around this problem so that we can collect for colleagues back home?  How do we
> convince government officials we aren't agents for pharmaceutical firms?  Isn't
> there a provision in US customs now about returning biological material to the
> country of origen when it isn't accompanied by a permit?

Hello, Karla at Ohio State and go BUCKS!

customs officals i'v dealt with in ecuadro *and* the US are responsive to
letters describing the research from faculty/deans etc. if they are typed
on department letterhead.  It doesn't hurt to carry  your school's ID
card, either.  The letter should state things like "the research is not
funded by, nor will any tissue be chanelled to, government or private
pharmaceutical research".  It's a good idea to arrange an interview with a
Peruvian government biologist upon you arrival, show them this letter, and
have them type a similar document of approval.  They will usually expect
reprints of papers resulting from the research in return.


James Lyons-Weiler

More information about the Taxacom mailing list