Geocoding Localities 2

Chrissy van Hilst CVANHILS at SIVM.SI.EDU
Tue May 21 18:34:00 CDT 1996

Thank you for the very helpful responses! Most of you who responded
suggested methods involving digitizing. Is anyone familiar with the
USGS's GNIS? It is a digital gazeteer available on CD that has many many
localities for the US. We had originally thought of assigning lat longs
via a matching process with the GNIS. I'm beginning to think that a
better approach would be to digitize or work from maps? Any thoughts?