Avoiding foxes!

Robin Leech robinl at NAIT.AB.CA
Fri May 24 06:52:29 CDT 1996

Hi,
Robin Leech here.  When I did my M.Sc. thesis in the Canadian Arctic, I
had trouble with the Arctic Fox.  They regarded my pitfall traps as an
invasion of their territory, and would urinate and defecate in and around
my traps.

My solution was simple.  I reacted as another fox would.  I urinated on
the ground about a half metre to a metre away from the traps - I spread
my urine around liberally.  The foxes were so disturbed at this that they
urinated and defecated on my urine sites, and left my pitfall traps alone
completely.

You may have to experiment to see what works where you are, but my
experiences may give you some ideas.

Robin Leech