Commercial ads on Taxacom

Jacques Rifkind Muisca at AOL.COM
Fri May 31 13:00:06 CDT 1996

J. Laferriere wrote:

>It has been quite a while since I have read a posting quite as arrogant as
this one. I for one have no desire to receive commercial advertisements on
>Taxacom. Dr. Rifkind needs to move his ego down a notch.

Oh, okay. I guess I just don't see the "arrogant" part. As for your desires
(for one), what you are saying is that you don't think that any requests for
recommendations, availability or price for ANY commercial products (software,
rearing cages, label paper, Malaise traps, etc.) should be answered on the
list.
I would venture a guess that yours is a minority opinion.

As for my ego, I try to take a philosophical/biological approach: it has to
be big enough to get me through the day, but letting it get much bigger can
lead to problems. As E. M. Cioran wrote: "...all the evil in the world comes
from the excess of agitation, from the dynamic fictions of bravery and
cowardice...the subtlest and crudest crimes are perpetrated by those who take
things seriously. Only the dilettante has no taste for blood, he alone is no
scoundrel...."

And thanks for the honorary degree.

Sincerely,

Jacques Rifkind