Electronic document citation

Alex R. Chapman alexc at CALM.WA.GOV.AU
Mon May 13 09:43:49 CDT 1996

I have found this web page a useful guide to citation standards for
referencing electronic documents, in particular those originating on the
Internet.

              http://www.cas.usf.edu/english/walker/mla.html

It originates from the Department of English, University of South Florida
and covers most internet protocols.  For example, to reference a web page:

Burka, Lauren P.  "A Hypertext History of Multi-User Dimensions."
     MUD History.  http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/lpb/
     mud-history.html (5 Dec. 1994).

Does anyone use or know of other standards for these types of citation that
differ widely from this?

PS. I have contacted the author and she "is happy to grant permission [to
reproduce the page] provided that 1) no changes are made in the format of
the citations, 2) no fee is charged over and above the cost of reproduction,
and 3) credit is given in the form of my name, university affiliation,
copyright notice, and e-mail address."
She is also happy to allow links or cross postings.

Alex
 |  Alex R. Chapman        Email: alexc at herb.calm.wa.gov.au  |
 |  Research Scientist                Voice: +61 9 334 0506  |
 |  WA Herbarium - CALM                 Fax: +61 9 334 0515  |
 |  PO Box 104 Como WA 6152                                  |