What are we going to do about Copyright?

Curtis Clark jcclark at CSUPOMONA.EDU
Mon Nov 4 16:40:20 CST 1996

At 03:12 PM 11/04/96 -0800, Barbara Ertter wrote:
> To the
>extent that Literature Cited is used to determine the significance of a
>researcher's publications, further credit is lost if even the
>nomenclaturally relevant articles are cited only in the formal synonymy
>paragraphs and omitted from the Literature Cited.

I had never thought of this, but of course it is a crucial point, since
synonymy references never show up in citation analyses. Perhaps editors of
systematics journals should start requiring *all* references to be in the
Literature Cited, including the nomenclatural ones. Otherwise, we are
institutionally devaluing our own work.

Curtis Clark                       http://www.is.csupomona.edu/~jcclark/
Biological Sciences Department                     Voice: (909) 869-4062
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona    FAX:   (909) 869-4396
Pomona CA 91768-4032  USA                          jcclark at csupomona.edu