But...(Use of types)

A. Contreras-Ramos atilano at IBIOLOGIA.UNAM.MX
Fri Nov 8 14:24:38 CST 1996

I think I took the original question

>>The molecular systematist view posed in recent discussions is that if
>>taxonomic revision were made on the basis of sequence analysis, then
>>there is no compelling reason to examine the type for the species

from a quite different perspective.  I "read" that the taxonomic revision
itself was being made _only_ with molecular data, including the
descriptions of species and the decisions on synonyms, etc.  So I
interpreted the problem as a philosophical exercise.  Is perhaps the
question whether a molecular phylogeny of previously proposed taxa (with
implications for nomenclature) requires the examination of types?  I
guess we need to understand better what is meant by "taxonomic
revision... on the basis of sequence analysis."

Buen fin de semana.

Atilano Contreras-Ramos
Instituto de Biologia, UNAM
Mexico.