naming and types

Adolf Ceska aceska at FREENET.VICTORIA.BC.CA
Sat Nov 9 10:12:16 CST 1996

Is this discussion about how much we should trust the morphology and how
much we should rely on other techniques?

Should lichenologists abolish all their (simple) chemical tests (P+, K-,
etc.) when they identify and define their species?

Look at what is going on in the taxonomy of Honey Mushroom, Armillaria.
You have to go deep in the molecular biology techniques in order to see
what you are dealing with. Does it make sense? Perhaps not, BUT these
small microspecies differ in their pathogeny and then it's really good
to know.

Adolf Ceska