incertae sedis and homonymy (just checking)

Alan Harvey aharvey at AMNH.ORG
Mon Nov 25 17:25:58 CST 1996

Greetings,

This is a straight nomenclatural question. Muller (1978) described the
fossil hermit crab Anapagurus marginatus. However (1), this name was
already used for an extant species by A. Milne Edwards and Bouvier (1893).
However (2), Garcia-Gomez (1994) decided that ME&B's taxon was not an
Anapagurus, but didn't know what it was, and considered it a species
incertae sedis. My impression is that A. marginatus Muller is a homonym of
A. marginatus Milne Edwards and Bouvier, but I can't find any direct
reference to this kind of situation in the Code. The Principle of Homonymy
prevents a name that is either a valid name or a junior synonym of another
name from being used as a valid name, but the incertae sedis category, at
least in this case, seems to be a temporary transitional state between
valid name and junior synonym. Homonymy would certainly apply, wouldn't it?
Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Cheers,

Alan

Alan W. Harvey (aharvey at amnh.org)