Copyright again

Sat Nov 2 19:36:52 CST 1996

Comments below

Richard J. Jensen      |   E-MAIL: rjensen at saintmarys.edu
Dept. of Biology       |   TELEPHONE: 219-284-4674
Saint Mary's College   |   FAX: 219-284-4716
Notre Dame, IN  46556  |

On Sat, 2 Nov 1996, Robert Poole wrote:

SNIP>
> be yes.  Some may not be aware that most journals will allow you to copy or
> reproduce papers in their journals for a nominal fee.  To find out more
> about this see the web site for the Copyright Clearance Center.  I don't

Robert Poole is right. For example, the American Society of Plant
Taxonomists,
publishers of SYSTEMATIC BOTANY and SYSTEMATIC BOTANY MONOGRAPHS, has a
simple approach to requests for reproduction of copyrighted material.  If
the request is for including the material in another publication (e.g., a
book or another scientific paper), the policy is to grant permission with
the stipulation that the ASPT be properly credited.  If the request is to
reproduce material for a course packet, e.g., providing copies to all
students in a class, then the request is processed by the Copyright
Clearance Center, which collects a minimal fee for each page copied.

I suspect that other professional societies have similar policies.