folk taxonomy

Hubert Turner turner at BIO.UVA.NL
Tue Nov 12 14:34:42 CST 1996

(Quotes from Johnn McNeill's post yesterday)
>The relevant Article is 60.11 :- "The use of a termination (for example
>-i, -ii, -ae, -iae, -anus, -or -ianus) contrary to Rec. 60C.1 is treated
>as an error to be corrected."  Apart from the slight complexity of a
>Recommendation being given in this way the force of a rule, Rec. 60C.1
>is not as simple as implied by Peabody.

I don't have access top the Tokyo code right now, but under the B[erlin]
C[ode] (which I assume from the quotations to be identical to the T[okyo]
C[ode] on this matter) Dr. McNeill's 'wislizenii, from Wislizenus' is not
correct. Either Rec. 60C.1 TC (73C.1 BC) applies:

(Rec. 60C.1 TC? (73C.1 BC):)
>First of all, the Recommendation only applies to "personal names ... used to
>form specific and infraspecific epithets" - not, for example, to geographical
>names, so that _Minuartia juressi_, from Mt. Juressus (Serra do Gerez) in
>Portugal, is correct with the original ending "-i"

(Rec. 60C.1a TC? (73C.1a BC):)
>Secondly, "if the personal name ends in a vowel or -er," a single "-i" or "-ae"
>etc. is added "appropriate to the sex and numbers of person(s) honoured", so we
>have epithets correctly spelled "engleri", "hookerorum", "laceae" etc. (and NOT
>"englerii", "hookeriorum" and "laceiae").
>
>Only if the epithet is derived from a personal name ending in a consonant
>(except -er), is the correction of an "-i" ending to "-ii" and an "-ae" ending
>to "-iae" required. E.g. "wilsonii" (NOT "wilsoni") from Paul Wilson or any of
>the many other male Wilsons, and "wilsoniae" (NOT "wilsonae") from Karen Wilson
>- or, of course, wislizenii, from Friedrich (or Frederick) Adolph Wislizenus
>(1810-1889).

But Rec. 73C.2 CBC:
"Personal names already in Greek or Latin, or possessing a well-established
latinized form, should be given their appropriate Latin genitive to form
substantive epithets (e.g. [...] linnaei from Linnaeus [...]). (However,
modern personal names are subject to the provisions of Art. 73.10 [BC, i.e.
Art. 60.11 TC, HT] .) ..."

It is either "wislizeni" from Wislizenus (already in Latin, or a
well-established latinized form) according Rec. 73C.2 BC, or "wislizenusii"
from the modern name Wislizenus, following Rec. 73C.1b BC via Art. 73.10
BC:
"If the personal name ends in a consonant (except -er) substantive epithets
are formed by adding -i (stem augmentation) plus the genitive inflection
appropriate to the sex and number of the person(s) honoured. (e.g.
lecard-ii for Lecard [...])."

As I read it, it can under no circumstances be "wislizenii".

Hubert Turner

ISP/ZMA, Dept. Entomology, Plantage Middenlaan 64,
1018 DH  Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Phone: +-31-20-5256245        Fax: +-31-20-5256528
E-mail: turner at bio.uva.nl
WWW: <http://rulsfb.leidenuniv.nl/~turner/index.html>