Query on Naming

Wed Nov 20 08:20:06 CST 1996

At 08:27 AM 11-20-96 EST, you wrote:
>Thomas G. Lammers (lammers at fmppr.fmnh.org) wrote:
>
>>                                                Another was Cyanea
>>kuhihewa, from a Latin verb meaning "to not recognize someone when you
>>see them."  (the species was at first misidentified as a previously
>>described but long extinct relative).  In this case, it looks Latin
>>with the -a ending, but thats just a happy coincidence.
>
>Surely not a "Latin verb" - maybe that of a Hawaiian language?
>
>John

>From: John McNeill, Director, Royal Ontario Museum, 100 Queen's Park,
>      Toronto, Ontario, M5S 2C6, Canada.
>      Tel.: 416-586-5639      Fax: 416-586-8044
>      e-mail: johnm at rom.on.ca

Yes, of course, a Hawaiian verb.  Sorry.  Also, in my same post, "nominative
plural" should have read "nominative singular" (case and number of generic
names).  A bad day for thinking clearly, apparently.

Thomas G. Lammers                                       lammers at fmppr.fmnh.org
Department of Botany
Center for Evolutionary and Environmental Biology
Field Museum of Natural History
Roosevelt Road at Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, Illinois 60605-2496 USA