hybrids and synonymy

Dennis Paulson dpaulson at MAIL.UPS.EDU
Tue Nov 26 12:01:22 CST 1996

>I think Harvey has it right.  Michaux (the younger, I believe)
>published Quercus heterophylla as a new species.  It was later determined
>to be a hybrid between Quercus rubra and Quercus phellos.  Now it is
>designated as Quercus x heterophylla Michaux, and it is not treated as a
>synonym of either parent.
>
>Richard J. Jensen

And thanks to others who have posted me privately about this.

It would seem, therefore, that anyone writing a check-list with a complete
synonymy would be forced to append somewhere on it a list of all names that
are considered hybrids, so Xus yus, a name in the literature based on a
hybrid, would be found *somewhere* in the check-list.

I guess one could append a list of hybrids either at the end of a
check-list or under the appropriate genus (in the latter case, named
intergeneric hybrids would have to go under the family heading).  This
could be a substantial effort in botanical check-lists, with the abundance
of plant hybrids.  I doubt if there has been consistency, at least in
zoology.

It's interesting that I have seen check-lists that *don't* include these
names, in animal taxa in which I know hybrids have been described.  Some
authors have apparently just swept the hybrid names under the rug, perhaps
not knowing exactly what to do with them.

Dennis Paulson, Director                           phone 206-756-3798
Slater Museum of Natural History                 fax 206-756-3352
University of Puget Sound                       e-mail dpaulson at ups.edu
Tacoma, WA 98416
web site: http://www.ups.edu/biology/museum/museum.html