Copyright law

Jim Diederich dieder at MATH.UCDAVIS.EDU
Fri Nov 1 10:26:39 CST 1996

I think what Poole wrote is close to what Pamela Samuelson
says in her numerous articles in the Communications of the
ACM.  However, it is not the case that the intention of
the copyright laws is to protect the author.  If you read
Samuelson you will see that it is to promote the dissemination
of information.  While this is done by protecting authors
and so you may say I am splitting hairs, it is an important
distinction.

Jim

Jim Diederich
Math Department