Referencing Previous Work

James Lyons-Weiler weiler at ERS.UNR.EDU
Tue Nov 5 06:18:48 CST 1996

I, too have been watching the discussion, and, quite frankly, I think
Barbara Ertter hit the nail on the head.  I'm steeped in literature of all
sorts; paleoecology, population genetics, phylogenetics, cytogenetics,
conservation biology, computational biology, philosophy, of science... The
point is not to brag (that my already be obvious to perhaps not a few of
you reaching for you Kewpie dolls of my likeness, but then we do all need
our advocates!)

The point is that in practice, editors and reviewers alike are fond of
suggesting their own favorite references to their peers if they seem
missing.  It makes the system run more smoothly.  Perhaps there
is an authority issue here?

James

  \  /   /    \  /           JAMES LYONS-WEILER           ______________
   \/   /      \/                                        |..............|
     \/       /              DOCTORAL PROGRAM IN         |..............|
      \      /               ECOLOGY, EVOLUTION, AND     |...***........|
       \    /                CONSERVATION BIOLOGY        |..*****.......|
         \/                  1000 VALLEY ROAD/186        |********......|
   | will perform |          NEVADA, RENO
   |  statistical |          RENO, NEVADA 89512-0013
   | phylogenetic |