folk taxonomy

Jerry Bricker lcjbrick at ANTELOPE.WCC.EDU
Mon Nov 11 15:51:03 CST 1996

>On Sun, 10 Nov 1996, Curtis Clark wrote:
>
>> At 07:10 AM 11/10/96 -0700, JOSEPH E. LAFERRIERE wrote:
>> >Many plants
>> >in the SW US and NW Mexico bear the epithet "wislizeni"
>> >which I have to look up every time I have to spell it.
>>
>> Being plants, their epithet is spelled "wislizenii", with the double "i". :-)

>> Curtis Clark                       http://www.is.csupomona.edu/~jcclark/
>> Biological Sciences Department                     Voice: (909) 869-4062
>> California State Polytechnic University, Pomona    FAX:   (909) 869-4396
>> Pomona CA 91768-4032  USA                          jcclark at csupomona.edu
>>

>The omission of the final "-ii" on plant epithets is a common orthographic
>error which should be corrected where ever it is found.
>F.J. Peabody

Didn't we just finish adressing this topic?  I seem to remember the
consensus among the TAXACOM members that arbitrarily correcting the "-i" to
a "-ii" whenever found in plant epithets was simply wrong.  The conclusion
reached by many contributers was that the botanical code allows for the
single i and the original species description takes precedent.

So let's all vow to kill this thread before it grows again into an ugly
little plague on the "pure" discussions of taxonomy related topics seen on
TAXACOM.

JB

Jerry Bricker
Department of Biology