Need Info on Softwares

James Lyons-Weiler weiler at ERS.UNR.EDU
Wed Nov 20 06:59:07 CST 1996

On Wed, 20 Nov 1996, Zhexi Luo wrote:

> Dear Taxacomers:
>
> Does any colleague on TAXACOM have the latest information on how to purchase
> the softwares of PHYPLIP and Hennig86?  It would be very helpful if someone can
> send the info directly to:  saswati at isical.ernet.in
>
> Dr. Saswati Bandyopadhyay (Email: saswati at isical.ernet.in)
> Vertebrate Paleontology
> Geological Studies Unit
> Indian Statistical Institute
> 203, Barrackpore Trunk Road, Calcutta 700 035, India
> Fax: +91 (3)556-6680
>
> (Posted for Dr. Bandyopadhyay by Luo)
> Zhexi Luo, Ph.D.
> Section of Vertebrate Paleontology
> Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Pittsburgh, PA 15213
> Tel. (412)622-6578, Fax. (412)622-8837,  Email: luoz at clpgh.org

The following URLs (aka links or web sites) have an immense amount of
information on phylogenetic software.  Phylip is free and can
retrieved from Joe Felsenstein's web site.  Among the sites, my own
(entirely objective) position in that Joe's is the most complete.

Hope this helps.

James

http://evolution.genetics.washington.edu/phylip/software.html
http://phylogeny.arizona.edu/tree/programs/programs.html
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/subway/phylo/phylosoft.html
http://www.ebi.ac.uk/biocat/Phylogeny.html
http://www.euronet.nl/users/mbleeker/prog/soflis_e.html

A more direct answer to your question is that info on Phylip can be had ar

http://evolution.genetics.washington.edu/phylip

while info on Hennig86 is available from Arnold Kluge or Diana Lipscombe,
whose email addresses are available at

http://www.vims.edu

*note that those people who might not have access to a graphical-capabable
browser should be able to get to these web sites if their UNIX environment
has "lynx".  Type "lynx" at your Unix prompt (ie.., ">"). Lynx implements
hypertext, and if all is well, you can move around on the page using the
TAB button and arrow button.  There are some limitations.

  \  /   /    \  /           JAMES LYONS-WEILER           ______________
   \/   /      \/                                        |..............|
     \/       /              DOCTORAL PROGRAM IN         |..............|
      \      /               ECOLOGY, EVOLUTION, AND     |...***........|
       \    /                CONSERVATION BIOLOGY        |..*****.......|
         \/                  1000 VALLEY ROAD/186        |********......|
   | will perform |          NEVADA, RENO
   |  statistical |          RENO, NEVADA 89512-0013
   | phylogenetic |