HELLO ALL COLLECTORS

Eric or Pat Metzler spruance at INFINET.COM
Sun Nov 24 10:51:33 CST 1996

--------------3E9438701F7E

Alex Aylward, a.aylward at ic.ac.uk, wrote:

> HI - ALL COLLECTORS - PLEASE STOP
> I have just started my PhD in the Entomology Department at the NHM and
> Imperial. My thesis is on the "The legal aspects relating to the collection
> of arthropod specimens for taxonomic study".
>
> I am presently collecting anecdotes and facts on any issues relating to the
> collection of arthropods for taxonomic study.

Mr. Aylward:

Here's an example of a happy ending.  This outcome was achieved with
tactful discussions based on respect without judgement nor acrimony.

Good luck on your research.

--------------3E9438701F7E

The Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR), Division of Wildlife, in cooperation
with The Ohio Lepidopterists, announced a change in the Ohio Wildlife Regulations that will
allow Lepidopterists to retain specimens of butterflies and moths that are declared to be
endangered in Ohio.  The announcement recognizes the close cooperation of the ODNR,
Division of Wildlife and The Ohio Lepidopterists in providing the data that contributed to the
Division of Wildlife's understanding that some species are imperiled in Ohio.  The change in
the Ohio Wildlife Regulations was made to encourage members of The Ohio Lepidopterists
to continue their research in Ohio.

In making the announcement, Richard B. Pierce, Chief of the Division of Wildlife, said "I
consider the information provided to the ODNR, Division of Wildlife by The Ohio
Lepidopterists, on the status of moth and butterfly populations, to be vital in managing and
protecting this important segment of Ohio's wildlife.  It is certainly in the Division's best
interest to facilitate the collection of information by those who are qualified and motivated to
do so.  A second key factor is ensuring that there is close cooperation in the sharing of data
and development of protective strategies."

Ohio's Division of Wildlife and The Ohio Lepidopterists society continue to be leaders in
recognizing the mutual benefits of working together.  It is not easy to chart a course that
appears to contradict popular thinking pertinent to protecting endangered species, but the
rules of protection, that were not developed with insects in mind, can be recreated to
encourage participation by the persons most capable of monitoring populations of butterflies
and moths, lepidopterists.  Although it is not easy to recast long held ideas, openness to new
ideas, while recognizing the sincerely held beliefs of traditional thinking, can lead to a new
way of doing things.

The new rules for Ohio took effect on 15 May 1994.  The revised language states:  "It shall
be lawful for any persons to collect and possess the following wild animals for their own
personal use.  It shall be unlawful to sell, barter, trade, or offer for sale any wild animal, or
parts there of, listed in this paragraph:"  The paragraph proceeds to list Ohio's endangered
butterflies and moths.

"We've made a lot of progress toward conservation of lepidopterans in Ohio," said Pierce.
"There is still a tremendous amount of work still to be done.  With our united efforts, I am
confident that progress will continue to be made."  The action by the Division of Wildlife to
modify their regulations are part of the partnership.

The Ohio Lepidopterists society conducted a six year Comprehensive Survey of Moths and
Butterflies in Ohio for the ODNR, Division of Wildlife.  During the survey, which ran from
1986 through 1992, The Ohio Lepidopterists accumulated nearly 100,000 individual records
of butterflies and moths in Ohio.  The Ohio Lepidopterists discovered that several species of
butterflies and moth were endanger of being extirpated from Ohio due to threats to critical
habitats.  Two major publications, Butterflies and Skippers of Ohio, and The Owlet Moths of
Ohio, also came from the six year effort.  As part of the survey, The Ohio Lepidopterists
also own and curate a synoptic collection of Ohio's butterflies and moths at The Ohio State
University Museum of Biological Diversity.

For more information, you may contact: Eric H. Metzler, The Ohio Lepidopterists, 1241 Kildale
Sq. N., Columbus, Ohio  43229-1306 USA   e-mail: spruance at infinet.com   voice 614 888 3642