hybrids and synonymy

Tue Nov 26 15:05:35 CST 1996

At 02:51 PM 11-26-96 EST, you wrote:

>    I'm sort of wondering what yalls thoughts are on the
>PRONUNCIATION or otherwise verbalized disposition of the "X". As
>at a meeting, standing up in front of a bunch of people.

>John B. Nelson
>Curator of the Herbarium (USCH)
>Department of Biological Sciences
>University of South Carolina
>Columbia SC 29208

I generally ignore it, or fudge by saying something like "the hybrid Quercus
heterophylla".  I certainly do not say "Quercus times heterophylla" or
"Quercus ecks heterophylla".  BTW, it is a multiplication sign [hard to do
via e-mail, but on WordPerfect 5.1 it's <control> <2> <6> <,> <39>], not the
24th letter of the Roman alphabet, and it should be appended to the
nothospecies epithet directly without an intervening space, i.e., Quercus
Xheterophylla.  One more reason I try not to fool with the damn things any
more than I have to, a prefer to designate hybrids solely by their putative
or actual parentage.

Thomas G. Lammers                                       lammers at fmppr.fmnh.org
Department of Botany
Center for Evolutionary and Environmental Biology
Field Museum of Natural History
Roosevelt Road at Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, Illinois 60605-2496 USA