Evodia or Euodia?

Tue Nov 26 15:16:36 CST 1996

At 03:26 PM 11-26-96 +0500, Elaine Chittenden wrote:
>The Rutaceous genus Evodia has 2 different spellings and I thought it
>quicker and more personable and more fun to inquire on taxacom rather than
>let Evodia win just because it is the most used.  I would like to know what
>the correct spelling truly is.

Apparently this is a case covered by Article 73.5 of the Code:

Names published in works where u & v  and  i & j  are used interchangeably
(classical Roman usage), one form not used at all, or only used for
capitals, the offending letter should be transcribed to conform with modern
usage.

The Forster's were late 18th century, so probably followed classical usage
and wrote v's when we would write u's.  So I suspect Euodia is the correct
spelling, assuming it is derived from euodes, sweet-smelling.

Thomas G. Lammers                                       lammers at fmppr.fmnh.org
Department of Botany
Center for Evolutionary and Environmental Biology
Field Museum of Natural History
Roosevelt Road at Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, Illinois 60605-2496 USA