What are we going to do about this?

Barbara Ertter ertter at UCJEPS.HERB.BERKELEY.EDU
Mon Oct 21 11:20:00 CDT 1996

Felix Sperling writes:
>        Doug Yanega might wish to look into the NSF-PEET program,
>which is essentially what he is wishing for, together with a strong
>emphasis on training new and competent alpha taxonomists. Also, grants
>are up to five years in duration.

Alas, I don't see the problem as much in TRAINING alpha taxonomists, as in
the dearth of positions available that give alpha taxonomy skills and
accomplishments more than lip service when it comes to hiring and promotion
decisions.  I routinely encounter students who would happily focus on alpha
taxonomy, as the thing that drew them into the field in the first place,
but who are also aware of what the job market is.  So, it will take more
than PEET to make me optimistic.  [?Time for STARBUCK? e.g., Support for
Taxonomic Academic Research and Biologically Useful Conservation Knowledge?
(Berkeley "in" joke!)]

Dr. Barbara Ertter
ertter at ucjeps.herb.berkeley.edu
University and Jepson Herbaria