What are we going to do about this?

Dennis Paulson dpaulson at MAIL.UPS.EDU
Thu Oct 24 09:46:41 CDT 1996

Another thought comes to mind.  Dan Janzen (with others) is accomplishing
in Costa Rica what a lot of us are saying can't be done:  using government
(I don't know how much of it comes from out of the country) funds to (a)
train taxonomists, and (b) inventory the country's biota.  I'm firmly
convinced the secret is in the forcefulness and resourcefulness, as well as
the reputation, of the prime mover (surely the government and people of CR
were no more receptive than those of the U.S. to such a process--but maybe
they were?).

We need high-profile and energetic people to accomplish some of these
goals, but I think most of us on this list are happy to stay out of the
limelight and carry on the research that we love.  If not high-profile
people, perhaps high-profile organizations.  Build up the glamor of biotic
inventory and taxonomy, then capitalize on that to compete successfully for
funds.  Easier said than done, I know, but it has to be done.

Dennis Paulson, Director                           phone 206-756-3798
Slater Museum of Natural History                 fax 206-756-3352
University of Puget Sound                       e-mail dpaulson at ups.edu
Tacoma, WA 98416