revolution

Wolfgang Wuster w.wuster at BANGOR.AC.UK
Wed Oct 2 09:17:40 CDT 1996

On Wed, 2 Oct 1996, Alexey V. Kuprijanov wrote:

> Linnaeus said: 'Remember: not the character constitutes genus
> but genus constitutes its character'. It should mean the following.
> You should first recognise in some way units of diversity, then
> find the characters to make these units recogniseable for other
> taxonomists,

Translation:

(i) Decide the result you want
(ii) Find evidence that supports your result
(iii) Ignore evidence which contradicts your results

Hmmm...

Well, if you don't like unresolved problems, that's one way of going
about it.

I admire the achievements of Linnaeus in his time, but somehow, I had
hoped that both the conceptual basis and the practice of taxonomy had
moved on a bit since then.
--
Wolfgang Wuster
School of Biological Sciences, University of Wales, Bangor, UK
e-mail: w.wuster at bangor.ac.uk

Thought for the day: If you see a light at the end of the tunnel,
it is probably a train coming your way.