The attitrion of taxonomic expertise

Tom DiBenedetto tdib at UMICH.EDU
Sat Oct 19 13:18:06 CDT 1996

On Fri, 18 Oct 1996 19:51:01 -0700, Curtis Clark wrote:

>>At 12:58 PM 10/18/96 -0700, Tom DiBenedetto wrote:
>>>  BTW, can't homoplasious character states be homologous?
>>
>>Of course,,they ARE homologous, but at a lower level than orginally
>>proposed. Matching character-states are generalized to the extent
>>possible, and the congruence test reveals instances of
>>over-generlization relative to the remaining data,,,,homoplasy.
>
>Symplesiomorphy >< homoplasy.  In fact plesiomorphy IS homology, which is
>what I hope is meant here.

I was not referring to plesiomorphy at all. I said homoplasious
characters are homologous at lower levels than originally proposed
(homoplasies are over-generaliztions). This refers to characters
which are then interpreted as convergences or reversals.

I agree with the rest of the stuff you wrote.
Tom DiBenedetto
Fish Division
Museum of Zoology
University of Michigan