bounty

Thomas Pape en-thomas at NRM.SE
Thu Oct 24 16:58:14 CDT 1996

At 14.23 1996-10-24 +0100, Wolfgang Wuster wrote:
>On Wed, 23 Oct 1996, James Matta wrote:
>
>> 4.  Come on guys (a genderless word in this context). We can do it.  C.P.
>> Alexander averaged one new species (of crane fly) a day for a long
>> time (so the legend goes).
>
>Errrm... and how many of his species have withstood critical analysis  by
>others?

[snip]

Actually, either Alexander did remarkably well - or the "critical analyses"
are lagging behind.

Of the 1,249 species of North American crane flies described by Alexander,
93% are currently valid (see Thompson,FC 1990 in: Kosztarab & Schaefer,
Systematics of the North American Insects and Arachnids).

Thomas Pape

Thomas Pape
Department of Entomology
Swedish Museum of Natural History       Voice: +46 8666 4094
Box 50007                               Fax:   +46 8666 4099
S - 104 05 Stockholm, SWEDEN            e-mail: en-thomas at nrm.se

WWW URL:                          http://www.nrm.se/en/pape.html