Evolution

James Lyons-Weiler weiler at ERS.UNR.EDU
Thu Oct 31 10:36:59 CST 1996

On Thu, 31 Oct 1996, Andrey Sharkov wrote:

> We, scientists, all agree with Darwin that man was not created by the God
> but evolved from monkey. I propose that after last weeks' acknowledgement by

We do not all agree that humans evolved from monkies.  We agree that
humans and monkeys share a common ancestor, which we might call a
protohomonid, but not necessarily a monkey.  Your reference to humans
evolving from monkies perpetuates a deep misrepresentation that creation
scientists then play around with.  I urge everyone to be more careful when
they refer to the common ancestry component of the theory of evolution,
and not conflate extant species with ancestral ones.

James Lyons-Weiler

Happy Hallowe'en