What are we going to do about this?

Curtis Clark jcclark at CSUPOMONA.EDU
Mon Oct 21 19:16:50 CDT 1996

At 10:10 AM 10/21/96 -0700, Peter Rauch wrote:
>Systematists don't need to be convinced. The people who would get
>excited about the promise of life on Mars and would direct all
>the additional funding that systematics needs for the next two decades
>to seeking out that life, need to be staked down and anointed with honey.

Policy-wise, I agree, but *if* there is life on Mars, and *if* it either has
an independent origin or at least a separate evolutionary history, think of
the phylogenetic ramifications of finally having an outgroup for Earth life.

Curtis Clark                       http://www.is.csupomona.edu/~jcclark/
Biological Sciences Department                     Voice: (909) 869-4062
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona    FAX:   (909) 869-4396
Pomona CA 91768-4032  USA                          jcclark at csupomona.edu