What are we going to do about this?

robert fogel rfogel at UMICH.EDU
Tue Oct 22 09:21:17 CDT 1996

Something else for you to consider.  It appears that many units at the
University of Michigan are going to move to "value-centered management."
We will have to define our mission, priorities, and place value on the
priorities. We will also be expected to operate within our budget to meet
priorities. One possible scenario is that services will no longer be free.
You may have to pay for shipping and handling on loans.  Poison calls may
not be free. Specimen identification may no longer be free. Another
implication is that you will have to budget for shipping and handling in
grants. The ability of third world countries to pay is a concern. We may
have to approach NSF and other agencies to pay for their costs.

VCM may not be imposed, but I fully expect it given the cutbacks in state
funding and pressure by the state to control rising tuition and limit
out-of-state enrollment.