what are we going to do

Paul J. Johnson elater at BROOKINGS.NET
Tue Oct 22 18:11:40 CDT 1996

On 22 Oct 96 at 14:32, Don McAllister wrote:

> The SBSTTA2 meeting, the advisory body to the Biodiversity Convention, sent
> forward to the Conference of the Party meetings soon to be held in Buenos Aires,
> solid recommendations on the important role and plight of taxonomy.  Draw this
> to the attention of your government and request action on it, even if it has not
> yet signed on to the Convention.  If you're plight is bad, think of developing
> countries.  But museum support in the north is needed to support those in the
> south.
> Secondly support ASC in its endeavors to better sustain museums and taxonomy.

   The latest issue of the ASC Newsletter ((24(5), Oct. 1996) just
arrived.  Included is the text of a White Paper by Elaine Hoagland in
response to the SBSTTA.  This is a fine response that all should read.
     Particular attention should be given to our (systematics community)
dismal failures to play politics in public and recognize the market value of our
services.  In other words, we probably need to hire advertisers, marketing
managers, and lobbiests, as well as demand service fees.  At least in
the U.S., we do consider ourselves professionals (and are innately more
valuable than lawyers!).  As evidenced by current administrative
action in Minnesota and Michigan regarding collections support, our
individual and collective presence is sorely undervalued.

> don
>
> Don E. McAllister             /& Canadian Centre for Biodiversity
> Ocean Voice International          /Canadian Museum of Nature
> Box 37026, 3332 McCarthy Rd. /Box 3443, Station D
> Ottawa, ON K1V 0W0, Canada    /Ottawa, ON K1P 6P4
>  (or: ah194 at freenet.carleton.ca) Tel: (613) 264-8986, Fax: (613) 264-9204

Paul J. Johnson
Assist. Prof. & Curator
Insect Research Collection
South Dakota State University
(office): px53 at sdsumus.sdstate.edu
(home): elater at brookings.net
"Much of our usual appreciation of an animal
-- in any condition --
depends on our ability to identify and name it.
For flattened fauna, however, that can be a problem."
               R.M. Knutson (1987), "Flattened Fauna."