what are we going to do

Hugh D. Wilson wilson at BIO.TAMU.EDU
Wed Oct 23 07:14:25 CDT 1996

Seems that we (USA) *are* playing politics via the ASC and - judging from
grim comments here - the ASC is either not doing a good job as a rep
in Washington for the systematics community or - perhaps - doing a
good job but only for a *segment* of the systematics community.

> > Secondly support ASC in its endeavors to better sustain museums and taxonomy.
>
>    The latest issue of the ASC Newsletter ((24(5), Oct. 1996) just
> arrived.  Included is the text of a White Paper by Elaine Hoagland in
> response to the SBSTTA.  This is a fine response that all should read.
>      Particular attention should be given to our (systematics community)
> dismal failures to play politics in public and recognize the market value of our
> services.  In other words, we probably need to hire advertisers, marketing
> managers, and lobbiests, as well as demand service fees.  At least in
> the U.S., we do consider ourselves professionals (and are innately more
> valuable than lawyers!).  As evidenced by current administrative
> action in Minnesota and Michigan regarding collections support, our
> individual and collective presence is sorely undervalued.
>

> > don
> >
> > Don E. McAllister             /& Canadian Centre for Biodiversity
> > Ocean Voice International          /Canadian Museum of Nature
> > Box 37026, 3332 McCarthy Rd. /Box 3443, Station D
> > Ottawa, ON K1V 0W0, Canada    /Ottawa, ON K1P 6P4
> >  (or: ah194 at freenet.carleton.ca) Tel: (613) 264-8986, Fax: (613) 264-9204
> >

> Paul J. Johnson
> Assist. Prof. & Curator
> Insect Research Collection
> South Dakota State University
> (office): px53 at sdsumus.sdstate.edu
> (home): elater at brookings.net
> "Much of our usual appreciation of an animal
> -- in any condition --
> depends on our ability to identify and name it.
> For flattened fauna, however, that can be a problem."
>                R.M. Knutson (1987), "Flattened Fauna."

Hugh D. Wilson
Texas A&M University - Biology
h-wilson at tamu.edu (409-845-3354)