reliability of identifications

Barbara Ertter ertter at UCJEPS.HERB.BERKELEY.EDU
Wed Oct 23 13:04:23 CDT 1996

Response to Anite Cholewa:
>California is different from many other states in that you
>apparantly have a lot of botanically (amateur/professional)
>oriented people that appear to have many connections to one
>another.  In other states, it is not feasible (from both an
>economic and from a logistical perspective) to keep track
>of all the various inventory-type projects that may be taking
>place.
Nor in California.  However, the watchdog incentive does not require that
all inventories be monitored, just that any inventory-type project runs the
risk of being singled out (sort of like an IRS audit).  Local grass-roots
organizations would be logical sources of suggestions of which projects are
likely candidates for such an "audit".

>I just came from a staff meeting in which a faculty member asked
>why the department should make a long term committment to
>systematics, "what if systematics should become obsolete" he
>said.
One possible response:  So that critical planning decisions can be made on
the basis of correct rather than fallacious information.  Unless we do
succeed in making the ostrich our national bird, as seems to be the
preferred trend.

Dr. Barbara Ertter
ertter at ucjeps.herb.berkeley.edu
University and Jepson Herbaria