Dandy Dime

Francesco Santini frank at CIBERNET.IT
Tue Apr 1 15:11:07 CST 1997

>   Dr. Jensen  is certainly entitled to his interpretation of
>the Dandy  Dime ad.  Incidentally, I  did not say I wrote the
>ad;  it  was  written  by  a  friend  who  wishes  to  remain
>anonymous. She  does not  have e-mail,  which  is  why  I  am
>presenting her arguments on her behalf.
>   My friend  opted for the dramatic rather than the timid in
>order to  call attention  to  the  problem.  Real  cases  are
>infinitely  more   effective  in  attracting  attention  than
>hypothetical ones. As for Dr. Jensen's fruit-fly analogy, let
>me point  out that classified advertizements, like flies, are
>sexually reproducing  organisms.  Hence,  one  is  relatively
>harmless and  unlikely to  cause major  hardship.  My  friend
>promises to  keep the  ad in the Dandy Dime isolated from her
>other ad in press in the Nifty Nickel.
>   Other publication  venues my friend considered in addition
>to these  included American  Quilter, Heavy  Metal Biker Mag,
>Padres de  Sesame Street,  XXX Video  Guide, and  the concert
>program for  the  28  April  performance  of  the  Bratislava
>Symphony Orchestra. I am sure Dr. Jensen would not agrue that
>any of  these is  a newspaper.  She also contemplated sending
>out the  new description  on  Christmas  cards,  or  possibly
>printing it on t-shirts to sell at a botanical conference.
>
>--
>Dr. Joseph E. Laferriere, Herbario, CEAMISH, Universidad
>Autonoma del Estado de Morelos, Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico  -- OR --
>c/o Mary Laferriere, 18 Maple Ave #3, Centerdale RI 02911 USA

WOW !! I had never thought about it before ! Why wait for weeks or even
months for an answer ( often negative )  when you submit an article to
boring journals such as science or nature, when it could be possible to just
send it to such a prestigiuous and world wide known publication as american
quilter ( !!!? ) and the public would have it available after a few days ?
I'm sure that the reader of the nifty  nickel can't wait to read the ad  of
Dr. Laferriere's friend.
Thank you Dr. Laferriere, to you and to your friend, for such a bright idea.
To show to you my gratitude I want to suggest to your friend that in case
she had any trouble to publish her descriptions on american quilter, there
are many other possibilities, such as for example Mickey Mouse ( at least
the italian ediction of the comic ), Superman or even Sports Illustrated. If
you need some help concerning the italian  magazines that you might want to
contact, please, do not esitate a second to write to me.

Sincerely

Francesco Santini

P.S. could you please tell me exactly  what can I do to obtain a copy of the
XXX video guide ? I'd be very interested in the scientific articles
published in it. Even the abstracts  would be fine, if it is not possible to
have the full papers. I suggest that you send the instructions to the list,
given the fact that there might be a lot of people, outside the U.S.A., who
do not exactly know how to order such a wonderfully cultural piece of paper.

           Francesco  Santini

           Address            via Roques 1
                              56100  Pisa  Italy
           tel/fax            ++39-(0)50-550332