jicama

Thu Apr 10 11:26:25 CDT 1997

At 10:47 AM 04-10-97 -0500, Richard Jensen wrote:

>Dear taxacom colleagues,
>Does anyone know the proper scientific name of jicama.  I know it is in
>the genus Pachyrhizus (Leguminosae), but am not sure which of the two
>generally used tuberous species, P. erosus and P. tuberosus, is jicama.
>I have found one seed catalog that equates jicama with P. tuberosus; most
>other sources do not include jicama as a name for any Pachyrhizus
>species - yam bean or potato bean, but no jicama.

For what it's worth, Rosalind Creasy in "The Gardener's Handbook of Edible
Plants" (Sierra Club Books, San Francisco, 1986) lists jicama as P.
tuberosus, with the additional common name "Mexican potato".  No mention of
P. erosus.   Is this a matter of synonymy?

(What a minute, why do I keep trying to answer  legume questions?  Some ask
a lobelia question, please?)

Thomas G. Lammers

Classification, Nomenclature, Phylogeny and Biogeography
of the Campanulaceae, s. lat.

Department of Botany
Field Museum of Natural History
Roosevelt Road at Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, Illinois 60605-2496 USA

e-mail:     lammers at fmppr.fmnh.org
voice mail: 312-922-9410 ext. 317

"We don't need any more well-rounded people.  We have too many now.  A
well-rounded person is like a ball; he rolls in the first direction he is
pushed.  We need more square people who won't roll away when they are pushed."
                             -- Eugene Wilson