Dandy Dime

richard a fagerlund fagerlun at UNM.EDU
Tue Apr 1 09:41:48 CST 1997

I am not sure if everyone in reading through Josephs posting.  Most of
the responses I have seen are either critical or plain vitriolic.  One
person whose name I forget (I deleted his message) went so far as to call
Josephs colleague names, "nomenclatural court jester" and something else.
If there was anything else in his message of importance it was overshadowed
by his demonstration of his own lack of character.

I believe Joseph is trying to convey a message that the code needs revising.
It is true his example may be a little on the extreme side, but at least
he notified everyone in the world about it with the idea someone will
start the process of fixing the system.  How many other "taxonomists" are
there right now in both zoology and botany that have in the past or are
contemplating in the future of publishing something in some obscure
little journal that no one will ever see.  At least Joseph has made his
material available for everyone to see if they want.

I think the community would be better served if they looked at the
positive side of Josephs posting instead of the "petty squabbling" initiated
by petty people.  Joseph is not being a "loophole lawyer", he is pointing
out loopholes that are being used now and should be closed.

Take heart Joseph, as someone said recently, pioneers often blaze the way
with their own blood.

Richard Fagerlund                    Mail: 993 Orchid SW
University of New Mexico                   Rio Rancho, NM 87124
E-mail: fagerlun at unm.edu            Phone: (505) 896-2524