Ranunculus alismaefolius or alismifolius ?

Curtis Clark jcclark at CSUPOMONA.EDU
Mon Apr 14 14:37:29 CDT 1997

At 03:36 PM 4/14/97 -0500, Frederick J. Peabody wrote:
>would recommend "alismofolius" as my first choice, with "alismifolius" as
>a not-so-acceptable, but tolerable, alternative.

To me, the issue of "alismofolius" is that it combines a Greek word and a
Latin word, *not* a Greek root and a Latin root, since it uses the Greek
combining form. I would much prefer that compound words be in a single
language. As far as I can see, the only way to do this is to Latinize all
the parts. So "alismifolius" would be preferable.  If the epithet had been
alism*phyllus, "alismophyllus" would be preferable, since the entire Greek
word would be latinized.

Curtis Clark                       http://www.is.csupomona.edu/~jcclark/
Biological Sciences Department                     Voice: (909) 869-4062
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona    FAX:   (909) 869-4396
Pomona CA 91768-4032  USA                          jcclark at csupomona.edu