Asaphes loan

Gary Gibson GIBSONG at EM.AGR.CA
Thu Apr 24 09:32:57 CDT 1997

 Dear Taxacomers:
The following message was also posted to PARAHYM and I appologize
for the cross posting, but I am trying to reach curators of museums that
are not hymenopterists, aphid workers, etc.  Thanks. I appreciate your
help.

I am looking for a loan of any specimens of the genus Asaphes Walker
(Hymenoptera: Chalcidoidea: Pteromalidae: Asaphinae) from North
America that you may have in your collections.  I and Veli Vikberg are
completing a revision of this genus from North America and we want to
make sure that we have all available host and distribution records. Based
on material from borrowed collections to date there are six species of
Asaphes in North America, of which two are new. As you may know,
species of Asaphes are generally considered to be hyperparasites of
aphids, but one of the new species has definitely been reared as a
parasite (hyperparasite?) of the spruce budworm and balsam fir sawfly.
Consequently, I am particularly interested in any anomalous host records.
Please contact me directly about any specimens you may have. Thanks.

Gary Gibson
Biological Resources Program
Eastern Cereal and Oilseed Reserach Centre
Agriculture & Agri-Food Canada
K.W. Neatby Building
Ottawa, Ontario CANADA K1A 0C6