proposals to change ICBN

Julian Humphries julian at UKANS.EDU
Wed Apr 2 11:49:14 CST 1997

At 11:08 AM 4/2/97 -0600, Thomas G. Lammers wrote:

>Perhaps we need to indicate that printed matter must be issued at a single
>definable point in time, rather than on demand.  That *does* seem to be the
>difference between the two citations above.  Essentially, this might mean
>raising Rec. 30A to a Rule.  Possibly the addition of some minimum number to
>be distributed, say 100 copies, would help, though establishing print runs
>might be difficult.

My guess is that within 5 years many journals will be printed "on demand"
as it becomes cheaper for printers to distribute books and journals as
needed rather than harvesting millions of trees for articles and books that
are mostly never read.

The technology is currently in place for this, Postscript copies of a
book/article are stored on the printers server and you can place a
chargecard order for your own copy of the book/journal (including optional
binding, color/bw, etc).  Its pretty easy to imagine the process:  you get
email with a table of contents and abstracts and then order up a copy of
what articles you want, mailed directly to you from the printer.  Most
examples I know about now are books, but I suspect journals are likely to
be available soon in this delivery format.

This kind of thing is going to happen whether systematists want it to or
not.  We need to be prepared to deal with the nomenclatural issues this
raises.

Julian

Kansas University Natural History Museum
Digital Biodiversity Laboratory