Hummingbirds and Rhododendron flowers

Andrew Rozefelds Andrew.Rozefelds at SHELOB.ECC.TASED.EDU.AU
Tue Dec 30 16:52:28 CST 1997

To avoid any confusion I am sending this again - with the correct spelling
for  Rhododendron.

Are there any records of Hummingbirds being poisoned after ingestion of
nectar from Rhododendron flowers?

Rhododendrons are known to be poisonous. The nectar contains grayanotoxins
and  honey produced from Rhododendron flowers is known to be poisonous to

Would welcome any comments/suggestions back.

Andrew Rozefelds

Andrew Rozefelds PhD
Tasmanian Herbarium
PO Box 252-04
HOBART Tas 7001

Ph: (03)-6226 2635 International Ph: +61-3-6226 2635

Fax: (03)-6226 7865 International Fax: +61-3-6226 7865

More information about the Taxacom mailing list