actual value of general collections...

Robin Panza panzar at CLPGH.ORG
Mon Feb 3 18:15:02 CST 1997

>I have seen lists of 1001 things one *might* do with specimen data that
>would be of direct economic relevance to society, but I wonder how many
>documented cases/studies there are where specimen data from *historic,
>vouchered collections* were found to be of significant value in an actual
>study or environmental assessment?

I believe this qualifies for your questions, Jim.  The Carnegie MNH egg
collection was used to get baseline (pre-WWII, therefore pre-DDT) data on egg
thicknesses in the 60's.  These data were used in establishing the effect of
DDT on raptor and seabird eggshells, leading to the ban on DDT use.

Robin Panza                     panzar at clpgh.org
Section of Birds, Carnegie MNH
Pittsburgh  PA  15213  USA