Other acknowledgments

Jane Thomas THOMASJ at FRL.ORST.EDU
Fri Feb 7 09:58:33 CST 1997

Acknowledgments are funny things.  In our department, we edit
scientific papers.  We do a very thorough job, including
reorganizing, checking logic and facts, and often rewriting every
sentence.  Most of what we edit gets published.

Rarely, however, are we acknowledged.  The same author who will thank
the person who provided the sample, identified the specimen, typed
the first draft, or gave an anonymous review almost never mentions the
editor who rewrote the whole paper.  "But you get paid for it" I
hear if I complain.  But so does the author... a lot more than I do.

                        Jane Thomas