validity of taxonomic publication

Robin Leech robinl at NAIT.AB.CA
Sun Feb 23 18:59:17 CST 1997

A newspaper is a "publication" but placing the name and description of a
new taxon, even with acceptable diagnostic drawings/photos/micrographs, does
not constitute publication.

Yes, a printed thesis is a "document", but by the nature of such a
document as a thesis, and its distribution and knowledge of its
availability to one and all, preclude its being accepted as "constituting
or effecting publication".

You can start your own journal, and as long as the terms of reference for
distribution are met, and the names and descriptions and diagnoses and
illustrations of the new taxon or taxa are adequate, you have "effected
publication", the name or names you have proposed will be valid.  Some
people have opted for this route - there was a hemipterist in California
back during the 50s (and 60s), who published on mirids, who did this.  I
will not go into details here, but few, if any, accepted his names.

Robin Leech