Theses and new species

Robin Leech robinl at NAIT.AB.CA
Wed Feb 26 07:40:39 CST 1997

As a finishing PhD student, one does not usually have a job, or research
funds, that could afford page costs and reprint costs.  Therefore, who
is going to pay for these?  Sure, it is in the the interests of the
student to have the material published, and it is in the interests of the
supervisor(s) to have the material published, it is in the interests of
the funding body to have the material published.

However, research and publishing funds are a fair bit tighter today than
they were in 1970 when I finished.  The institute where I did my postdoc
paid for the published version of my PhD thesis, and even back then I
believe that the costs were over $8,000 Canadian.

Whachya wanna do, and whachya can do, are often far apart.

Robin Leech