PUBLICATION

Rod Seppelt rod_sep at ANTDIV.GOV.AU
Thu Feb 27 09:22:10 CST 1997

I can sympathise with the plight of graduates.  I, fortunately, have a job.
If I was recently graduating, what I did in the late 70's I am sure would
not have found me a job today.
To publish a whole thesis is, as Robin indicated, a mammoth undertaking.
My point was, and remains:  if there are new taxa described in the thesis,
then these should be published in, let's call it, a traditional journal.
To get a major revision published is another story.  In many groups there
are avenues available for such publications.  I have no idea if there is a
contributory cost.  If there is, like the $8000 Robin cites, then that is
another matter altogether.
If this is the case, my preference would be to split the work into a series
of shorter papers.  It boosts the numbers on the cv anyway.
Rod Seppelt

Dr. Rodney D. Seppelt
Principal Research Scientist
Australian Antarctic Division
Channel highway
Kingston 7050, Tasmania, Australia

phone:  International:  +61 (03) 62 323 438
        FAX          :  +61 (03) 62 323 351
        Alternate FAX:  +61 (03) 62 292 836