names in titles

Barry M. OConnor bmoc at UMICH.EDU
Fri Feb 28 12:40:36 CST 1997

At 10:29 AM 2/28/97, Robin Panza wrote:
  Any publication of the name prior to
>the description becomes "registered" as a _nomen nudum_ on page 1 of the
>article and then "registered" as a real name on the page containing the
>description.  Any listing of synonymies is then supposed to include both
>citations, one as a _nomen nudum_ and a second time when it becomes "real".

Since we don't yet have any "registration" of names, and since none of the
codes has "rules" for how to do synonymies, none of this seems to have any
bearing.  I would worry about wasting paper if I thought I had to list a
species twice in a synonymy, once for the title and once for the
description!  The problem of prepublication of abstracts is a more serious
one.  I would recommend never including all of the elements necessary to
validate a name in the abstract (i.e. ICZN - differential diagnosis, type
designation) if there is a chance the abstract would be published before
the paper.

Barry M. OConnor                phone: (313) 763-4354
Museum of Zoology               FAX: (313) 763-4080
University of Michigan          e-mail: bmoc at umich.edu
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1079  USA