Herbarium design--summary & fire question

Donna I. Ford-Werntz diford at WVNVM.WVNET.EDU
Mon Feb 10 08:36:02 CST 1997

Thanks to everyone who responded to my request for herbarium design advice.
 Below is an edited compilation of the more detailed/informative replies.
I had a productive first meeting with the building planners last week.
They would like more information on types of fire supression systems
(methods, pros/cons).  Any comments on this issue would be greatly
appreciated--hopefully not too many of us have first-hand experience with
their actual utilization/efficacy.

From: "Barbara P. Moore" <bpm at george.peabody.yale.edu>
     Here at Yale we are in the process of designing a new environmental
science building which will include our herbarium and a number of our other
collections.  We have looked into the design of museum collections
facilities very thoroughly and I would be happy to share with you what we
have learned.  In particular, beyond actual building design, I encourage
you to specify good environmental control (low temperature, low and very
stable humidity, important both for long-term preservation of cellulosic
materials and pest control).
     If you want to call me I would be glad to talk with you.  Another
person to talk with, in the actual building phase, is Jim Solomon of the
Missouri Botanical Garden (solomon at mobot.org) [also suggested by Fiona
<fnorris at Brit.ORG>].  A third person who has been especially helpful to us
is Vince Wilcox, who oversees the Museum Support Center of the Smithsonian
Institution (wilcox at simsc.si.edu).
Barbara Moore                    internet:  barbara.moore at yale.edu
Conservation and Collections        voice:  (203)432-3965
Peabody Museum of Natural History     FAX:  (203)432-9816
PO Box 208118
New Haven, CT 06520-8118

From: Rusty Russell <RUSSELL.RUSTY at NMNH.SI.EDU>
Since you are so "close", I would be happy to have you visit us
[Smithsonian] for a day and we could go through a lot of herbarium design
issues, I could
show you our compactor plans ... you could talk to Dave Lellinger, our
fern curator, who has spent a LOT of time imagining the perfect herbarium.

From: Jeremy Bruhl <jbruhl at metz.une.edu.au>
We are just in the process of building a new herbarium. $$$ constraints mean
that we go from space for about 50K to about 70-80K specimens on compactor
shelves, however, we will also have a dramatic (though I should never speak
too soon) improvement in working, processing and storage space. I could send
you an outline of our plan (of course we wanted more and there were
compromises due to the $$ factor).
CANB (our National Herb) just built so you might also contact them, they aim
for RH between 40-60% and Temp between 21-24 in a relatively low humidity
area! I just visited South Africa and at Cape Town Uni they stick with 40%RH
and 21C all year and say that is best for minimising insects. We also just
got a second beaut freezer that goes well below -18C for materials entering
the herb!
Jeremy J. Bruhl
Lecturer in Botany
Director, New England Herbarium
Department of Botany
University of New England, Armidale, NSW 2351 Australia
WWW:    http://www.une.edu.au/botany/jjbres.htm

From: "Diana G. Horton" <dhorton at vaxa.weeg.uiowa.edu>
I would recommend that you contact Montel, Inc., a Canadian, Quebec-based
company, for compactors.  I found out about them relatively recently myself
from Marshall Crosby at the Missouri Botanical Garden.  They are installing
mobile shelving at the Field Museum and at the Missouri Botanical Garden,
and have already done so at other places like the Smithsonian.  I have just
applied for funding to have them install compactors here.  The advantage with
them is that they manufacture *both* the carriage *and* the shelving units
for the compactor system.  Previously, one had to order the carriage from
one company and then add on herbarium cabinets from another company.  In
our case, the cost is approximately 2/3 less to go with this company. The
person to contact at Montel is: Yves Belanger, Phone: 800-935-0235 Ext.
220, Fax:  418-248-7266.  I recommend him highly.  He couldn't have been
more helpful to me.  Please tell him I referred you.
Probably you already know, but the big thing you need to consider with
respect to installing compactors is to make sure the floor loading
capacities will be sufficient to support the weight.  I am sure that Yves
will be able to tell you what you need in this regard.  Also, the bigger
the room, the more the compactors will increase the space -- you want a
big, open rectangular room with no pillars or other obstructions in the
middle of it.  The rails for the compactors should be installed when the
building is built, but Yves will tell you about this.
The other thing that you should do is to make sure that there is an air
handling system in the room that will control the temperature (we keep
our room at 60 degrees year-round to prevent insect predation; incoming
specimens and returned loans are put in an upright, standing freezer for
two weeks prior to insertion -- since we had the air handling system
installed - ca. 8 or 9 years ago - we have had *no* insect problems, and
we don't fumigate or do anything else) (the temp. control is also better
for longevity of the specimens and the paper) and the humidity (controlling
the humidity will also increase the longevity of the paper and specimens)
(unfortunately, I didn't know about this when I got the air handling system,
so we don't have humidity control).  If you can keep the ceilings high and
unobstructed, you can make the cabinets taller, which means you can get
more specimens in.  You should ask Yves about this too.
Herbarium 312 CB
Biological Sciences
University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA  52242

From: Judy Gibson <jgibson at cts.com>
Our herbarium (SD)--the San Diego Natural History Museum--is similar
in size to yours. Under an NSF grant in 1991/2 we made the transition
from free-standing standard and homebuilt cases to a compactor system.
We had to put it in the same herbarium space but we figured that our
storage was increased by 30 to 40%.  We had about 135,000 specimens and
went from 114 cases to 149. So my first comment is that I question the
number of cases you plan for 160,000 specimens. Our collection was jammed
at 114; we had to compress a stack of plants a bit to get it into a
compartment. When
we moved into the new cases we figured that each two compartments
would expand to three, and we also left the top two compartments in
each case empty for future growth. The 149 cases also includes cases
for incoming and outgoing exchange, working cases for research and
other projects, storage of oversized specimens like pine cones, types,
and reference collections for our county and for Baja California. The
main collection itself occupies about 130 cases.
We have the work area (microscopes, reference books) on a countertop
that runs along the wall opposite the open end of the stacks, and have
found it convenient. We have two work stations there. The specimen
preparation and packing/shipping area is in another section of the room.
These large tables can also be used for researchers, of course.

From: "Monique D. Reed" <MONIQUE at bio.tamu.edu>
I can understand that you might find compactor units with movable
shelving too expensive.  We have been happy with ours, however.  It
sure saves precious space!  Whatever storage system you finally adopt, if
it involves storing the plants in folders, I encourage you to explore the
option of acid-free folder materials.  We mount our plants on acid free
paper, but sadly,
the genus covers we have aren't acid free.  I am beginning to notice
some yellowing of sheet edges and some labels due to contact with
regular manila stock folders.  Go for the good stuff!
We also used to use methyl bromide--and we really liked it.  However,
due to the whole ozone-eating issue, we have had to discontinue it.
Right now, we use a pyrethrin fog every 12 to 18 months.  It has the
advantages of having an extremely quick break down time, being of
limited toxicity to humans, being relatively inexpensive, and being
widely available.  We have someone with a mask come in and fog,
rather than setting off the do-it-yourself "bombs" that one can buy
in the store.  This, combined with freezing ALL incoming material at -
80C, seems to prevent pest problems.  Spring for a chest-type
ultracold; freezing at lower temperatures doesn't always kill all the
pests.
Other suggestions:  have the herbarium as a "quarantine-type" room--
windows tightly sealed, door always shut, no plant material allowed
in unless frozen, floors swept regularly, etc.  It also helps if the
room is not on the main air-handling circuit.  We have found that a
dehumidifier keeps the relative humidity down far enough (ca. 50%) so
that dermestids are less likely to breed (if we had any!)--but
perhaps this is not a problem where you are.
I have given a lot of thought about the ideal set up for herbarium
operations.  I would want some rather large non-quarantine work room
for dealing with incoming material.  This room should have space for
storing boxes of things, as well as table space for microscopes,
books, and other identification operations.  A refrigerator would be
useful here, for storing things yet to be looked at.  Plant dryers
can also be here.
In addition to the main "safe" herbarium itself, there probably ought
to be a "safe" work area for examination of already frozen materials
and examination of collections.  This could also be where outgoing
loans and exchanges are processed, plants are mounted, labels typed,
etc.  You can always use *more* room of this type.
If fire planning comes into play, request one of the halon-extinguisher
systems, the kind that smother a fire rather than sprinkling it.  Water is
just as bad in a herbarium as fire...  Which is why my final recommendation
is to make sure that the facility is in some manner above ground
level--even if just a little.  Too many facilities end up in basements, and
sooner or later, water is a
problem.  If it isn't rain, it's broken plumbing upstairs, a running faucet
down the hall, or...  How I wish there were some sort of seal at the bottom
of our door!
Herbarium Botanist
Biology Department
Texas A&M University